Thursday, March 1, 2012

Charles the Cat and the Meaning of Death

Charles the Cat and the Meaning of Death
By: Dr. Seamus Campbell
February 29, 2012

Charles the cat by his mother sat, quietly.
He poured her some tea, and asked,
“Mommy why do we die?”
And she replied, “Death is
Natural, as natural as your life.

You see, Charlie, look out the window there
The birds, the bees, the endless trees we see,
They all live and they all die as do we.

You see, my sweet, without death there’s no life.
As is, without darkness, there is no light.
Where one tree dies another tree will try.
And, when the sun sets the moon will soon rise.
Charlie, believe me this is life’s cycle
As the wheels spin round on your bicycle
Death follows birth, follows death, follows birth
So the moon chases the sun around earth.

So, when I die, please, Charles, will you not cry.
I would rather be seen in everything.
When you look at the roses, I will be there –
Smelling of scents that are so pure and fair.
When you look at the birds, I will be there –
Flying through the green trees and fresh air.
When you look at the bees, I will be there –
Black and yellow making honey so rare.

It may not be that you see it so clear,
But, I will be in everything, dear.
See, we die to make room for things anew.
And, no matter how long I may be gone
I will always be there, my love, with you.
We live on in everything we love –
From the grass below to the stars above.”

Charlie sat and Charlie pondered awhile.
And then Charlie looked up with a smile,
“Mommy, I shall see you a great while.”

No comments:

Post a Comment